Our School » About Navajo Pine High School

About Navajo Pine High School

Welcome Back!

We are making changes to our new website.  We will have great information to share with you soon!

 

School Supplies

Students at all GMCS schools will receive the school supplies and class material they will need.  This is the second school year our district leadership has made this possible to help parents with the expense of these items and that we want to help in moving your student forward.  School supplies will be issued to students in classes once the school year begins.

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION

Navajo Pine High School is located in the valley, between the beautiful Chuska Mountains (New Mexico) and Sawmill Mountains (Arizona); and across from the majestic Fuzzy Mountain.  Navajo Pine is a rural school within Gallup McKinley County School District, about 50 miles northwest of Gallup NM.  From Gallup NM, you will travel on State Road 491; turn west on State Road 264, arriving at Window Rock AZ.  From Window Rock AZ, you will travel another 20 miles on Route 12 into Navajo NM.  It takes about 45 minutes to travel to and from Gallup NM. 

A few miles down the road, you will find Wheatfields Lake and A'saa'yi' Lake.  Excellent for camping, hiking and fishing!  The Navajo Tribal Fish & Wildlife provides hunting and fishing permits in Window Rock AZ. 

Spring and Summer weather is nice and hot, about 95 degrees.  During the Fall and Winter months, the weather is cool to cold.  We do get snow due to the high elevation.  

DEMOGRAPHICS

Navajo Pine High School currently has 142 students enrolled in grades 9-12.  At least 97% of the students are members of the Navajo Nation, and the remaining 3% are of the Filipino nationality.  There are 77 male students and 65 female students.  Some students speak their native Navajo language fluently, and some of them are semi-lingual.  This means, they can speak the English language and the Navajo language, but not fluent in both. 

We provide services in special education and the gifted and talented education.  Navajo Pine is a member of the New Mexico Athletic Association as a 2A school.  Our students participate in Football, Cross Country, Track, Volleyball, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Softball and Baseball. 

All our students are eligible for Free and Reduced Lunch Program; majority of the student body qualify for  ELL programs.

At least 13% have pursued post-secondary education; and another 13% have joined the military forces; and the remaining go into vocational programs or employment.   

COMMUNITY

The community is surrounded by beautiful red sandstone formations, with pinon trees.  There is one gas station, one general market, one high school, one middle school, one elementary school, one Navajo Chapter House, one Early Childhood Development Center, district teacher housing, and various Navajo Tribal Housing.  The population is about 600 people. 

A majority of the community are members of the Navajo Tribe.  There are also other tribes and nationalities represented throughout the community. 

The school faculty are members of various nationalities across the world (Navajo, African American, Hispanic, Filipinos, Indians, Germans, Italians, Caucasians, etc.)